"I know what conscience is, to begin with. It is not what you told me it was. It is the divinest thing in us. Don't sneer at it, Harry, any more - at least not before me. I want to be good. I can't bear the idea of my soul being hideous." Oscar Wilde (The Picture Of Dorian Gray)

24.6.09

LOVEISGONE

What is it with people?
If one would ought to describe what love is, most people would fervently agree if one would mention the word 'trust'.
I once read something that would later on become my motto when it came to love:
"Love means trusting someone enough they have the opportunity to break your heart, but trusting them not to."

So love equals trust. It is the key factor when it comes to love: both loving and being loved revolve around trust. So why are people not trustworthy anymore? Did they decide to just wake up one day and stop loving?
It's funny (well.. "funny") how the people you love best and trust most, can end up breaking your heart unintentionally like no one else could possibly even dream of doing.
I find myself writing more: a lot of diary entries and a couple of letters I will never send. The thing about diaries is that they can't hurt your already damaged heart. It's always there for you, keeping your most precious memories alive and the uttermost deep secrets secret. The thing about letters is that they make you vulnerable: you express emotion in them and share a little piece of yourself with the person reading your letter. That's why my letters are for strangers: I don't know them, there is no attachment or bond that can be broken, yet I give them something precious; something no one else has but me. I give them an idea of what my soul looks like.
It's easy to confide in a stranger, both anonymously and identified. Someone out there heard you, knows your secret; you got it off your chest and don't have to worry about getting hurt, because what power does a stranger have over you, really?
I love strangers, because I can trust them. And that heals. I'm only afraid of 'real' friends, because they have that power,- the power to destory you on the inside.
So think to yourself who would be a better friend to love: your best friend, whom you trust and/but of whom you know (s)he is going to hurt you in the end, one way or another (whether it is intentionally done so or not doesn't matter)? Or the stranger, next to you on the bus or in the train, who will keep your secret forever?

I love strangers. They're my best friends, whom I just haven't met before.

1 comment:

Anam said...

Love the way you write, keep it going xx

www.thebluntqueen.blogspot.com