"I know what conscience is, to begin with. It is not what you told me it was. It is the divinest thing in us. Don't sneer at it, Harry, any more - at least not before me. I want to be good. I can't bear the idea of my soul being hideous." Oscar Wilde (The Picture Of Dorian Gray)

14.6.09

AUDITIONS


It's almost midnight, so I'll have to do this quick to be able to say it all happened today.








Today at Taikoo Place in Hong Kong an extraordinary thing happened: Camilla had her first 'official' audition.
The audition was for a part in the musical Sweeney Todd (produced by the Hong Kong Youth Arts Foundation); Mrs Lovett in particular.

When I arrived, I went to get my audition number- 10 (I was the 10th out of the 50 to arrive). I thought to myself: 10's a good number, isn't it? 10's a good number. The girls that confirmed my attention, were very nice and took my at the place, to add to the audition form.
Once it was up to my group to go in, I lost all my nerves and dropped my bag and laptop to the floor. We were ordered to stand in lines- numbers going from low to high. The rows existed of 5 people each, so I was on the second row.
First, we learned a small dance routine. We did it about 3 times and then had to do it with the music, which was about 5 times as fast (which I found a bit odd, to be fairly honest, but maybe it always goes like this). We switched rows (2 front rows went all the way to the back and that way we switched until everybody had been in the the two front rows. I was always standing on the left, where there were also big black poles or something, so every time I had to turn to the left (or to the right for that matter), I banged against the poles -.- Not so much fun. But the choreography was genious; it was simply beautiful and powerful; really beautiful for an opening scene like Sweeney's.
At a certain point, the dance 'teacher' was picking out certain numbers, of which I was one. We were with 10, 15 people and we had to do the routine again. I felt that as far as expression went, I did very very well. I couldn't have felt the atmosphere for the scene/play any better (considering I've already done Sweeney Todd at school), so that went fine, thankfully :)
After the dancing, we sung our lines, one by one. Everyone was there, standing around us. First, the first row. Then when all five were done, they'd turn and stand behind the back row, so the second row became the first row. There weren't many outstanding singers, but oh dear, did I do well. I never really say or THINK, even, that I did really well at something. This is a big, big exception. I felt very satisfied afterwards and there even was a girl that came up to me that said: 'You are so gonna get in..!' I was absolutely aghast, because even though I felt satisfied about my performance and presence etcetera, I didn't expect someone to come up to me, randomly- to give me such a compliment!
There were 800 people auditioning for the play, of which they will only be casting 50 to 60 people (60 is the absolute max!).
After we all left the room, I got my phone to call my parents so we'd go back home, but when I stood there, typing in the numbers of my dad's phone number, something -I really don't know what - struck me. I put my phone back on the silent mode and kept it safe in my bag again. And there I went: half walking, half jogging, I went back to the back of the big room where I had auditioned.
For me, this audition was not yet over.
I asked the people sitting there (the JURY, hahah) for a big favour, namely: to have another go at another song. I prepared three 1 minute long songs and asked if they would mind listening to me for one last time. "Hopefully not the last time," the Lindsay said. I told them I prepared 2 songs from the musical Sweeney Todd as well, 'just in case.' (My audition song was a fragment of 'Over The Moon', from the musical RENT.) They all jinxed, hearing that, and said: "Sing both!" So that's how I sung a fragment of 'The Worst Pies In London' and 'Wait' and got extra singing time (YESSSSS!!) in comparison to the others that were auditioning.
Apparently, according to the 'jury', nobody had ever done what I had, before.

BOOYAH!


Call backs are between now and Wednesday.
Can't wait to open my inbox and see that lovely e-mail.
Can't wait to get started either!!!

I just genuinely can't wait to start living.
Because that's what this is- living.


Fingers crossed!!

2 comments:

marcsmellink said...

Ik zal voor je duimen =) wat een lef heb jij zeg...!

Seeker said...

Oh dear I bet that was so exciting, but also with some pain and nerves, so many people....

Luv

xoxo

(I alredy saw your last post, so that's why I'm not saying "break a leg" :o) lol)