"I know what conscience is, to begin with. It is not what you told me it was. It is the divinest thing in us. Don't sneer at it, Harry, any more - at least not before me. I want to be good. I can't bear the idea of my soul being hideous." Oscar Wilde (The Picture Of Dorian Gray)

16.1.09

My one true love; Fernando Pessoa.

XIX
Beauty and love let no one separate,
Whom exact Nature did to each other fit,
Giving to Beauty love as finishing fate
And to Love beauty as true colour of it.
Let he but friend be who the soul finds fair,
And none dare love outside the body's thought,
So the seen couple's togetherness shall bear
Truth to the beauty each in the other sought.
I could but love thee out of mockery
Of love and thee and mine own ugliness;
Therefore thy beauty I sing and wish not thee,
Thanking the Gods I long not out of place,

Lest, like a slave that for kings' robes doth long,
Obtained, shall with mere wearing do them wrong.


XX
When in the widening circle of rebirth
To a new flesh my travelled soul shall come,
And try again the unremembered earth
With the old sadness for the immortal home,
Shall I revisit these same differing fields
And cull the old new flowers with the same sense,
That some small breath of foiled remembrance yields,
Of more age than my days in this pretence?
Shall I again regret strange faces lost
Of which the present memory is forgot
And but in unseen bulks of vangueness tossed
Out of the closed sea and black night of Thought?

Where thy face one, what sweetness will't not be,
Though by blind feeling, to remember thee!

1 comment:

Charlotte de Gier said...

Mooi gedicht!
Oké, ik ga even uitleggen over dat linken, lieve Camilla!

Je typt gewoon de naam of desnoods de blognaam die je wilt 'taggen'.
Dan heb je als je een post maakt bovenaan allemaal van die dingetjes staan waar mee je de letters BOLD of ITALIAN kan maken, etc.
Daar is ook een knopje en dat ziet er een beetje uit als een mini-wereldbolletje met een paperclipje er boven.
Als je daar op klikt kan je de link in typen. Dan hoef je dus alleen de naam even te highlighten dan op dat knopje te klikken en intypen, en klaar! Hoop dat 't lukt!

Mmm, ik wil naar Hong Kong komen.
Dat je daar alweer meer dan een jaar bent. Time goes quickly.

Liefste Camilla!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-jes voor jou.