"I know what conscience is, to begin with. It is not what you told me it was. It is the divinest thing in us. Don't sneer at it, Harry, any more - at least not before me. I want to be good. I can't bear the idea of my soul being hideous." Oscar Wilde (The Picture Of Dorian Gray)

19.2.09

the MEANING of LIFE.

My dear lovebirds,

I'm in Philosophy class right now and we're looking at videos of each other that we had to make for homework. The videos are individual videos about what the Meaning Of Life is to us.
My video was a black screen with a little worded intro and then a song playing, called Never Know, by Jack Johnson. I wanted to focus on the words and on the message of 'Meaning' being something different to everyone that hears the word.
What gives me meaning in life, is living without having to look for a meaning. I live with the idea that there is no meaning to life, but I might change my mind (which I included in my representation of life's meaning).
Katie asked if that didn't mean that I am a nihilist, rather than an existentialist (nihilism = believing there is no meaning; existentialism = believing everyone has an own meaning and they look for it). I said I'm not, because I choose to live life without it having a meaning. Maybe I'll 'find out' that there is a meaning, but I doubt it right now. The things that do have meaning, however, are worth more and the meaning is more appreciated, just because I do not believe that life has a meaning.
But there might be for other people. I'm not excluding any possibilities. Like I said: I might change my mind (:

At assembly earlier on today, we were told that the two guys with the offending blog got suspended for 3 consequent days, with start of today. The blog got deleted and I'm so, so very happy with it, it's just indescribable. 2 girls got really offended before me; the things that were posted about them were just horrible. No, they weren't horrible. They were beyond horrible. I don't understand how people can say stuff that is this nasty about others, it's just ridiculous.
But they've gotten their 'punishment' and of one of the two I know that he is sorry about doing it, so it's good. The other guy is just the biggest asshole in the universe and explained his offending words as 'an experiment of creative writing'. He wanted to 'explore his boundaries' and 'enrich himself' by 'practicing his creative writing skills'. The fact that he said all this (only literal quotations used here), only shows how much is wrong with him, not with the people he wrote about during his creative escapades. What an incredible dick.
Anyway. They've gotten their punishment and we're moving on now.


A couple of days ago I found myself wondering about what I was missing in life (wah, deep!) and I think I got my answer just now.
I miss honesty, genuineness.
And this is exactly why I like blogging. The people that read this by accident and don't like it, don't have to comment on it. The people that read this (maybe by accident as well) and like it, can comment. The commenting, that is the core.
And it is genuine.

1 comment:

Mirthe said...

Camilla, je bent weer fantastisch.