"I know what conscience is, to begin with. It is not what you told me it was. It is the divinest thing in us. Don't sneer at it, Harry, any more - at least not before me. I want to be good. I can't bear the idea of my soul being hideous." Oscar Wilde (The Picture Of Dorian Gray)

6.12.08

"Ignorance is bliss."

TickTick. Tick. 

Somewhere, a clock is ticking. For every second that a clock has been ticking, a second has been wasted,- a second that could be spent dreaming, loving, LIVING. It's a one-way-road and sooner or later we all get to our very own dead end. And we will all think: 
I could have spent my seconds better. I could have made a difference. 

Death. War. Divorce. Bulimia. Abortion.
They don't affect you, do they? So..they don't exist. Right?
I have learned that it's good not to know anything,- 
ignorance is bliss. I have learned that thinking about these subject is inappropriate, sinful almost! It's not in my right to create an opinion about these subjects.
But which boy died in front of my eyes? Which uncle was sent to battlefield, to never return again? And whose father stayed away from home more and more often as well? Who thought that beauty equals pain? Who needed someone to see her when she was invisible?
Yes, it's better not to know anything.
 Ignorance is bliss.
You look for truth in all their lies. You want to believe that a 'war against terror' is not only a made up phrase to comfort people.. You even want to believe that a certain religion may be the projection of all hate! A leader preaches that everybody has the right to back up his or her belief, as long as he or she does not hurt someone else through doing so. This leader, however, frowns heavily and turns away, when it comes to gay-marriage. 
Since when do we play the game of Love according to a book of rules?
And you are scared of my words. The realisation that you are not safe,- that the society you are living in, is narrowing itself... It scares you.
And you're just sitting here, taking notes!


TickTick. Tick. 

For every 3 seconds you have been reading this, 450 people have died.
And you could ask yourself the question: 
Was it the little girl that sat next to me on the bus? I don't know. Maybe it was the old man who you passed by on the street this afternoon; the man you didn't think of twice. Or wait, maybe it was a premature child, whose right of living got taken away from. Maybe your mother, or your best friend?

You are scared of my words, but you know what? Everything has different options,- a fork in the road, where you choose to go left or right. You make a good decision, or a bad one. Are you going to ask for directions? Or are you going where your heart brings you? Are you going to stand up for what you 
feel and believe? Or are you going to sit and watch how your possibility passes you by?


TickTick. Tick. 

You are scared of my words, because they speak the truth.


No comments: