"I know what conscience is, to begin with. It is not what you told me it was. It is the divinest thing in us. Don't sneer at it, Harry, any more - at least not before me. I want to be good. I can't bear the idea of my soul being hideous." Oscar Wilde (The Picture Of Dorian Gray)

20.10.08

I can do this.

There has been more talk about the possibility of moving back to Holland. A couple of new issues have risen up, though, which don't really make the situation any easier.. On the contrary.

Last Friday, my father got two phone-calls from the Netherlands about two completely different subjects. These two subjects, however, are completely parallel and they are linked to each other in this case.
So what were the phone-calls about, you ask? Well, the first call was from our estate agent in Holland, to give us some wonderful news about the state of our house: we have bidders! Considering the fact that economy is doing very, very strange things at the moment and it's the most awful time to try to sell/buy a house, I think we can consider ourselves to be pretty damn lucky.
Yes, that's what I said: pretty damn lucky.
What's wrong with me? Ha. Nothing. I just haven't told you the rest of the story. Remember: there is one phone-call I haven't told you about left!
That phone-call came just before we were about to have dinner. It was around half past 9 in the evening and my father had just arrived home. The look on his face while he spoke on the phone was a mixture of different emotions,- excitement, curiosity, despair and even irritation took place in his eyes and his whole body language told me to get out of the room. Later that evening, I understood why.
Apparently, he was offered a new job in the same company, but in its Dutch branch. The job is even better than the one he already has (considering power he has and salary, because that's what people look at, of course d:) and he seems to be quite excited about it. Basically: it's what he has been working for since he joined the company/branch Fortis (Insurancies).

If he would call Holland up this very moment to tell them he wants the job, he can start that job the day after tomorrow, if necessary. That's how it goes!
One thing: my family doesn't want to go back to Holland. My father is content with his situation here in Hong Kong and he can still see himself happy in about two years time. My mother doesn't feel home in Holland at all and gets rather nauseated by the mere idea of moving back. I don't want to go back, because I feel like a left-out in Holland,- it's the most terrible place for people like me. I earned all the Portuguese blood, I think, because my sister, on the opposite, wouldn't mind moving back.
Taking in consideration that we would move in a year anyway (to either Shanghai, Bangkok, Bombai or Pune), she says she would rather move straight away than in a year, because it will only be harder. In a year time, she will also have started GCSE preparations (she's in year 9 now), which will then be a waste of time, to be honest. She's really Dutch and wouldn't mind at all to go back to her roots.

My parents understand the situation I am in, however, and they don't want me to swap schools now and then again in a year and a half. They know I have no problems with adapting and making new friends, but they see that my life has become a lot more stable since we have been living here. As I told you in my introduction: my life is one big failure. It actually used to be a lot worse than it is at the moment. I do really well in school now; not because it is easier, no, on the contrary! It's a lot more demanding, but I don't care! It seems that my self-discipline has grown for a great deal and I am glad that my parents realise that as well. I'm even happier about the fact that they take that serious for once. They take it serious enough to consider me staying here, when (if) they move back to Holland.
As I am already 18, I would only need a student-visa, but for the rest there should be no problem with me living on my own in Hong Kong. Of course it will be hard, hard as a rock in the beginning! But I think that my school will be there for me, might I need it. Especially my tutor is
a very understanding and helpful man who already has supported me with various things.

We might be able to work something out here! I really hope so, at least.
I think I can do it and I want to show my parents how much I want everything. And besides that: that I can do it.


I haven't eaten a lot this weekend.
As I work at a well-known, busy restaurant in Stanley, I'm always running up and down, from the left to the right. On Saturdays, I start at 11am and I'm done around 10pm (I leave around 11, though, because we stay for a drink most of the time). On Sundays I work from 11am till 8pm (and I go home around 9). Lunch should be around 3pm, but sometimes (especially on the Sundays) it's so busy, that there simply isn't any time for anyone to go on a break. This weekend was quite busy as well, but not crazy busy or anything.. Nothing special.

On Saturday, I had a couple of chicken wings for lunch. For breakfast I had had one breadroll, which I dipped into hot milk. I didn't have dinner, because I wasn't hungry. & to be honest.. I didn't want to eat. I was online with my boyfriend in England till 2am (time-difference) and when I logged off, my stomach was rumbling a bit, but I didn't eat anything, because the metabolism basically stops while you're sleeping/lying down, so that would mean I would only gain more weight. Gahh.
I didn't have breakfast on Sunday and my 'lunch' was at 5:15pm (5:13 actually, but let's be casual for a change). I ordered the African Chicken (which is delicious, I must say!), but I didn't eat it. I had one bite, to taste it and then told my friend Shreya I didn't like it, so I didn't have to eat it. She ate it for me and I had two or three small cubes of potato.
It was really good, but I don't regret not having eaten more of my meal. I seriously wasn't hungry and I really need to loose a bit of weight. At the time I may have felt a bit empty in the stomach, but that's different from actually being hungry, isn't it?
I didn't have dinner afterwards. My parents asked me if I had already eaten anything at work and I told them I had the African Chicken for dinner and a kids pizza for lunch.
It was worth it.
Even though I felt empty on the inside, I also felt strong, because of my resistance.

I can still do this. As long as I really want it and really go for it, I can still do this.


I can still do this.


No comments: